A much anticipated presidential debate in Kenya has been thrown into disarray after opting out of the top two contenders Wednesday. The debate was scheduled July 10 and 24

Incumbent president Kenyatta Uhuru was the first to opt out, in a move announced by Jubilee Vice Chairman David Murathe.

He said the organisers failed to adequately consult with Uhuru’s campaign team and their candidate was not formally invited.

He further said the debate didn’t match their campaign schedule so the candidate was withdrawn from the debate.

Just hours after, NASA presidential candidate Raila Odinga has also pulled.

In a statement confirming the withdraw Wednesday,  Salim Lone,  Raila’s senior Adviser  says NASA pulled out due to the “current proposed format”.

“The NASA Presidential Candidate Raila Odinga will not participate in the 2017 presidential debate under the current proposed format and stipulation” Read part of the statement

Lone said, “The NASA Presidential Secretariat propose a debate between President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila Odinga on issues affecting Kenyans in the present circumstances”

The national wide televised Political debates had already kicked off in Kenya with a Nairobi governor aspirants debate held on Thursday, June 29

International, News

Advertisements